Check out this interesting post from the Story Empire blog on the topic of conflict.
I’m going to discuss first, then pose my question.
Ask one hundred authors how to craft a story, and you’ll get one hundred pieces of advice. Some might be helpful to you, some not so much. But one thing authors, editors, publishers, and readers agree on is this: good stories have conflict.
There are two types of conflict: internal and external.
- External conflict is an outside force acting on the hero.
- Suspense: Being stalked by a serial killer.
- Romance: Domineering father forcing his choice of suitors on his daughter (a man she despises) to improve the family’s socioeconomic status.
- Internal conflict is the turmoil self-imposed on the hero.
- Suspense: She’s a cop and wants to succeed at her job, but she’s afraid…
View original post 132 more words