Balancing my work/writing/blogging schedule is a delicate process. I thought it might be useful for some of you to give you some insight into how I organize my blogging topics and try to plan and schedule ahead of time.
Here are some of the steps I use to organize my blog each day and try to post in an uninterrupted fashion.
- Lay out a consistent schedule for each week – I try to have consistent blogging topics associated with each day of the week. I have adjusted this over time, but here is my current daily category list:
- Monday – Author interview – currently running my Perfect 10 series.
- Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Thursday – Author tip/ writing topic
- Friday – Humor – currently running a ‘National Days’ series
- Saturday – Short Story
- Sunday – Indie Publishing News recap for the week
I’m thinking about shaking up the Tuesday-Thursday categories as three days in a row of content on writing is tough.
- Set up a calendar with scheduled blog topics in advance – Currently I have a calendar laid out into January of 2018 for blog topics. Of course, this is just an outline and may change based on topical information, book releases, marketing campaigns, etc. I use a spreadsheet to lay it out. Here is a sample of what my calendar looks like:
|Blog Idea||Date||Scheduled (Y/N)||Published (Y/N)||Source||Reference|
|Word Count – Series||10/3/2017||Y||Y||Nabokov – Blatt||Nabokov – Blatt|
|Audio Book Announcement – Frankly Speaking||10/4/2017||Y||Y|
|Writing About Locations – Do you have to go there?||10/5/2017||Y||Y|
|National Days – Week of 10/2/17||10/6/2017||Y||Y|
|Short Story Saturday||10/7/2017||Y||Y|
|This Week in Indie Publishing||10/8/2017||Y||Y|
|Perfect 10 – Interview||10/9/2017||Y||Y|
|Beginnings||10/10/2017||Y||Y||Nabokov – Blatt||Nabokov – Blatt|
|A Day in My Writing Life||10/11/2017||Y||Y|
|Inspiration – Where does it come from?||10/12/2017||Y||Y|
|National Days – Week of 10/9/17||10/13/2017||Y||Y|
|Short Story Saturday||10/14/2017||Y||Y|
|This Week in Indie Publishing||10/15/2017||Y||Y|
|Perfect 10 – Interview||10/16/2017||Y||Y|
|Organizing your blogging and writing ideas||10/17/2017||N||N|
|Character Origins – Frank Rozzani||10/18/2017||N||N|
|My first published novel – The process||10/19/2017||N||N|
- Schedule posts in advance – One of the great features of WordPress is the ability to schedule posts in advance. I try to get as much as a week ahead on my posts. My work schedule makes creating a post daily risky so I try to at least get my Monday through Thursday posts done ahead of time so I don’t have the pressure of writing content daily that could get thwarted by work.
- Look at your stats – I’m constantly looking at what topics are the most popular based on the categories and tags associated with my posts along with what days my blog sees the most traffic. I can then adjust content to make sure that the most popular topics are being posted on the days with the most traffic.
I have put the preceding strategy together over the past two years. I’m always adjusting my tactics to make sure that my followers get the most out of my blog. The bottom line is that, as an author, your blog is all about exposure. For me, it’s also about reaching and helping the largest number of followers possible.
It would be great to hear from some of you about your blogging strategies and tactics.