Here is a thought-provoking post from Mae Clair on the topic of ethics and book giveaways from the Story Empire blog
One of our recent Curated Contest blogs included a link to a post about giveaways and scams. If you missed the link, you can find the post here. In a nutshell it comes down to this:
- Jo Author writes a book and offers free copies through a giveaway on Goodreads.
- Bo Scam Artist enters giveaway (along with many other readers) and wins book.
- Jo Author autographs her book and mails it to Bo Scam Artist.
- Bo Scam Artist immediately turns around and lists the book for sale on Amazon (in “like new” condition, of course).
- Bo Scam Artist sells book and pockets the money.
- Jo Author nets zero profit, and is out the cost of postage to Bo Scam Artist.
Pretty nasty, right?
When I first ran the scenario through my head I was outraged. Yet another scammer making money off an author. Seriously, what kind of ethics does…
View original post 442 more words