Here’s a great post from Chris McMullen on the concept of writing selflesslly
By selfless, I don’t mean giving away your books for free.
I mean a distinction between selfless versus selfish in how you go about the writing, publishing, and marketing.
Really, there aren’t two extremes: one who goes about this 100% selflessly or 100% selfishly. Everyone is apt to fall somewhere in between overall.
But let’s look at one possible extreme. Let’s label this as completely selfish (even though from some perspective, one might not agree with this label—don’t worry, we’ll explore this perspective, too):
- Write whatever comes to mind.
- Don’t write for a specific audience.
- Write however you feel like writing.
- Focus entirely on writing, if possible.
- Give as little attention to formatting, cover design, marketing, etc. as possible.
- Avoid interacting with readers or potential readers.
One way this might seem selfish is that you would be writing for you, not necessarily for the benefit of any particular…
View original post 817 more words