Here’s a great post on the steps to building a story.
- Surprise your readers with twists and turns, provided you keep heading towards that big climax.
- Add plenty of suspense, the feeling that something is about to happen, so that readers want to turn every page.
- Decide on the mood of the story, the way it makes the reader feel – sad or cheerful, scared or angry, despairing or hopeful.
- Choose the central question that the story will resolve.
- Hook readers with an opening surprise and then take your time to reel them in.
- Reveal the place, time, mood and point of view in the first chapter.
- At the 10% point, steer events in a particular direction so that the hero finds a goal.
- After the first 10%, let your hero start to explore their new goal.
- The climax of the first act is at the 25% point. Have a major event to push the hero in a new direction with…
View original post 435 more words